Sustainably Built offers energy modeling services, including HERS ratings and EnergyPlus modeling, to help clients make informed choices regarding energy efficiency measures. With an energy model, we can estimate the energy a building will use under different scenarios (insulation types, heating types, etc.) allowing the client to rank the different scenarios considering cost, environmental impact, and other factors such as comfort and occupant health.
Using energy modeling at the very beginning of a project will help you make design decisions to maximize energy efficiency and building value while minimizing overall cost.
EnergyPlus is a powerful whole-building energy modeling program used to predict energy use and occupant comfort in both commercial and residential buildings. EnergyPlus Modeling helps inform the design process in regards to comfort, energy efficiency, and mechanical system options, among other attributes. The sooner that EnergyPlus Modeling is performed in the design process, the more cost effective the results.
EnergyPlus Modeling can help the design team:
- Introduce energy efficiency and passive solar design early in the design process
- Properly size mechanical equipment
- Compare mechanical system types and operating costs
- Fine tune passive solar features
- Perform ROI (return on investment) analysis of any sustainable feature, such as increased insulation or better windows
- Perform daylighting analysis of the building
- Calculate LEED® Energy and Atmosphere Credits
- Show compliance with ASHRAE 90.1
- Additional custom consulting for each unique project
EnergyPlus, developed by the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL), has many benefits over traditional whole-building simulation programs for the design of new commercial and residential buildings, or for modeling existing buildings. Unlike other software, thermal mass, natural ventilation, comfort, daylighting, and unique cutting-edge mechanical systems can all be accurately modeled in an EnergyPlus simulation.